Le Musée Mémorial de Sommepy

Le Musée de Sommepy Tahure est un point RIS "Relais Information Service"

Cette salle Franco-Américaine fut crée en 1925. Le Lieutenant L'Huillier originaire de Sommepy fut délégué à la fin de la guerre par le gouvernement Français pour aller expliquer aux Américains la misère des régions dévastées. Le résultat a été surprenant, des dons, vivres, argent et matériels affluent. Un comité SOMMEPY FUND est créé et quelques temps après une salle mémorial dans les locaux de la Mairie nouvellement achevée.

 

 

 

Les peintures sur les murs de cette salle sont l'oeuvre d'un artiste Américain. Les noms des régiments retracent la participation des combattants du 22ème Marines US qui délivrèrent le village et qui s'illustrèrent particulièrement au Blanc Mont ou un monument commémoratif leur est consacré.

 

Divers objets , mannequins, armes, et vestiges ornent la salle et rappelle cet épisode tragique de notre histoire.

De nombreuses photos et documents nous replongent dans le champ de bataille en 1918.

 

La salle Franco-Américaine est ouverte à la demande sur rendez-vous

Tel: - Mairie - 03 26 66 80 04
- 03 26 66 80 07
- 03 26 66 80 03
- 03 26 64 45 43

 

 

 

The Museum of SOMMEPY-TAHURE

The Great War had a profound effect on the village. On 2nd September 1914 a large part of the population fled the German advance, under heavy bombardment, and on 19th September the remaining inhabitants were forcibly evacuated by train to RETHEL. For 4 years SOMMEPY, situated immediately behind the German front line, was a privileged target.

It was not until 28th September that it was liberated, and enemy forces were finally expelled on 3rd October after the BLANC-MONT was taken by the 2nd US Division. The village was entirely destroyed, and had to be rebuilt.

Lieutenant André LHUILLIER, who was sent to the United States to raise awareness of the regions which had been devastated, chose SOMMEPY, his native village, as the theme of his talks. The "SOMMEPY FUND" was founded to help with the reconstruction.

On 19th September 1925, the new Town Hall, and the "Franco-American Memorial Hall" were inaugurated in the presence of the United States Ambassador MYRON- HERRICK.

This hall, now transformed into a museum, houses collections of photographs, post cards, documents and various other objects which bear witness to this painful period.

Since 1951 the name of TAHURE, a village in the military camp of SUIPPES which was also destroyed, has been joined to that of SOMMEPY, to ensure that its memory lives on.

 

Das Museum von Sommepy-Tahure

Der erste Weltkrieg hat dieses Dorf tief gezeichnet. Am 2.Sept.1914 flieht ein großer Teil der Bevölkerung unter dem Beschuss des deutschen Angriffs. Am 19.Sept.werden die übriggebliebenen Einwohner per Eisenbahn nach Rethel zwangsevakuiert. Vier Jahre lang wird Sommepy, das auf deutscher Seite unmittelbar hinter der Frontlinie liegt, zu einer bevorzugten Zielscheibe.

Erst am 28. Sept. 1918 wird das Dorf befreit und am 3.Okt. endgültig geräumt nach der Eroberung des "Blanc-Mont" durch die 2. US-Division. Das Dorf ist völllig zerstört und muss wiederaufgebaut werden.

Der Oberleutnant André Lhuillier, der in die U.S.A. geschickt wurde, um Konferenzen zu halten, wählt Sommepy, sein Heimatdorf, als Thema seiner Vorträge. Der "Sommepy-Fund" wird gegründet, um beim Wiederaufbau zu helfen.

Am 19.Sept.1925 werden das neue Bürgermeisteramt und der "Franco-amerikanische Gedenksaal" in Anwesenheit des US.-Botschafters, Herrn Myron-Herrick, eingeweiht. Dieser Saal wurde in ein Museum umgebaut und enthält Bilder- und Ansichtskartensammlungen sowie Dokumente und Gegenstände, die Zeugnis leisten für jene schmerzliche Zeit.

Seit 1951 bildet der Name "Tahure", ein völlig ausradiertes Dorf, das im Militärlager von Suippes liegt, zusammen mit Sommepy einen gemeinsamen Namen, um die Erinnerung wach zu halten.